Friday 25 April 2008

Help! I don't hava a residential address.

Getting a Bank Account

Scene: HDFC bank rep comes to my office to sort out corporate salary accounts for new joiners. In India, these guys tend to come to you to set things up, and often fill the forms for you as well, meaning we just have to sign in seventeen places at the end.

HDFC Bank Rep: What is your residential address sir?
Me: I don't have one, I'm staying in the hotel round the corner from the office.
HDFC Bank Rep: erm...
Me: Can I put my office address for now?
HDFC Bank Rep: We don't normally do that...
Me:


Scene: Airtel mobile rep comes to office to set up postpaid mobile connecction

Airtel Mobile phone rep: What is your residential address sir?
Me: I don't have one, I'm staying in the hotel round the corner from the office.
... (you get the picture)

In fact later on I got cut off by airtel for not having provided a residential address! within 2 weeks of arriving in Chennai! Apparently the rep should not have given me the connection without getting a residential address.

No comments: